“Its not what you know, its who you know.” Everyone, ever.
Growing your network is the most important thing you can do.
Here are some tips:
1. Be born to rich and/or famous parents.
2. Go to rich and/or famous high school.
3. Go to rich and/or famous university.
Of course, these are outside of your control. If you weren’t lucky enough to have won the birth lottery, here are some other steps:
1. Marry someone who is rich and/or famous or is from a rich & famous family.
2. Live in a city filled with rich and/or famous people.
3. Work for a company filled with rich and/or famous people.
Seriously. If you can’t marry right, then at least choose a major city and then find a way to get into a company you admire.
Do whatever it takes to get in the door, even if you have to start as a janitor.
Work hard, develop a reputation, climb the ranks.
After ten years you can use your newfound network to then find the capital, clients, partners you need to chase your dreams.
In the meantime, substitute mentors with books. Read.