Entrepreneurs are not fooled by Facebook

Facebook is a highlights channel. Most people are posting information on their best holidays, happiest moments, and most beautiful children.They choose to leave out the detail of the majority of their life, which is just like yours.Arb.Sometimes not just arb. Sometimes life is downright horrible.Your business might be bad, your family might be bad, your health…

Read More

Entrepreneurs use Facebook to collect debt

Scared of fraud? Don’t know how to find the crooks? Don’t know how to get your money back?Don’t panic.A US study showed that the number one reason the majority of felons commit crime is because they thought they could get away with it.Nowadays, with social media like Facebook, there is no getting away with it.A…

Read More

7 tips for converting from corporate employee to entrepreneur

Here is a short list for setting up your own business, especially for those coming out of big companies in the brave new world of start-ups… Do not hire an IT guy. Especially when coming out of corporate, the world of IT seems so intimidating that it feels absolutely necessary to bring in an expert….

Read More

Entrepreneurs find partners they can trust

Its hard to find partners in business. How can you tell whether you can trust someone?First, its important to understand that trust is not only about integrity. Its also about a shared temperament, a shared worldview and shared values.Some people panic when faced with problems, you definitely don’t want them as shareholders or partners.Dealing with adversity…

Read More

Don’t panic South Africa, the Internet is coming

It’s easy to get mopey and depressed when you read the papers. Violent crime. Rampant corruption. Failing education. Weakening Rand.How will we possibly tackle all the problems our country faces? How can we create more jobs, equip the youth to participate in the economy, fix our leadership crises?Don’t panic!The good news is that you don’t…

Read More

Entrepreneurs know the difference between stars and slackers

1. Stars arrive at the office at 7am without being asked. Slackers slouch in at 9, with a new excuse every day for why they’re late. 2. Stars never make excuses; they just own up to their mistakes and fix them without a fuss. Slackers always make excuses and try to shift blame. 3. Stars reply to emails…

Read More

Entrepreneurs give customers what they want

Henry Ford completely dominated the motorcar industry for almost two decades, from 1907 onwards. His vision of bringing raw basic transport to the masses was epitomized by the Model T.Ford’s 70% market share entrenched economies of scale that no competitor could match, resulting in the Model T being the cheapest car on the road.Where he went…

Read More

Entrepreneurs can spot crooks

Warren Buffett says you should back people with integrity, energy & intelligence. Without integrity, the others are irrelevant.Watch for people with integrity. Latch onto them. Life is too short to spend time with people without integrity.Its hard finding people with integrity, they’re not self-promoters by nature. The best way is process of elimination.Look for crooks.Crooks…

Read More

Entrepreneurs serve users first, customers second

Sometimes your customer is your user, ie: Facebook.Sometimes your customer is just an agent for your user, ie: the CIO of a company deciding which email client to prescribe for staff.This post is for the latter case: B2B sales where you’re servicing two stakeholders: The agent (CIO) who signs the purchase requisition. The user who actually uses…

Read More

Entrepreneurs don’t get sick

At the change of seasons there is an inevitable outbreak of flu.Not only is it no fun to be sick, it’s not good for business. Especially if you’re an entrepreneur with a small team that can’t afford to stop moving.Here are the basic rules to stay healthy: 1. Boost your immune system with ginger tea, lemon…

Read More

Entrepreneurs drink coffee in a take-away cup

Nassim Taleb in Anti-fragile talks about the importance of optionality. In an increasingly volatile and uncertain world, you always want to have options.That’s why an entrepreneur should always order a take-away coffee, even for sit-down meetings. Other than the consistent taste of coffee out of a cardboard cup, a take-away gives you options.What happens if you feel like walking and talking?What happens if…

Read More

Entrepreneurs employ the barbell strategy

Nassim Taleb talks about the “Barbell Strategy” for investments. Put 95% of your savings into the lowest-risk form of investment, ie: fixed deposit or Treasury notes. Invest the remaining 5% in high risk options.That way you can never lose all your money, but if one of your options pays off the upside is vastly disproportional…

Read More